History of Railways
• In the earlier stage of 17th century coaches were built and it was
drawn by the horses only.
• After that in the year of 1769, Nicholas Joseph Cugnot invent &
construct a steam locomotive, at that time it was tractive work
on roads only.
• In year 1784 timber blocks were laid and coaches drawned, and
in the year of 1789 the timber was get replaced by Cast-iron
• In the year of 1804 Trevithick designed & constructed the
locomotive for railways, on feb 24, 1804 it started its journey to
a small town of Merthyr in wales.
• Five heavy Carts full of irons & 10 men's were traveled in that
coach, it takes 2 hours to reach 14.5 km.
M.P.KARTHIK, Asst.Professor, SSM Institute
of Engg & Tech, Dindigul, Tamilnadu, India