8. Semiconductor Physics: Fermi Level in Intrinsic and Extrinsic Semiconductors,
and Carrier Concentration, Extrinsic Semiconductors and Carrier Concentration,
Equation of Continuity,Direct & Indirect Band Gap Semiconductors, Hall Effect.
9. Physics of Semiconductor Devices: Formation of PN Junction, Open Circuit PN
Junction, EnergyDiagram of PN Diode, I-V Characteristics of PN Junction, PN Diode
as a Rectifier (Forward and ReverseBias), Diode Equation, LED, LCD and Photo
10. Dielectric Properties: Electric Dipole, Dipole Moment, Dielectric Constant,
Polarizability, ElectricSusceptibility, Displacement Vector, Electronic, Ionic and
Orientation Polarizations and Calculation ofPolarizabilities - Internal Fields in Solids,
Clausius - Mossotti Equation, Piezo-electricity, Pyro-electricity and
11. Magnetic Properties: Permeability, Field Intensity, Magnetic Field Induction,
Magnetization, MagneticSusceptibility, Origin of Magnetic Moment, Bohr Magneton,
Classification of Dia, Para and Ferro MagneticMaterials on the basis of Magnetic
Moment, Domain Theory of Ferro Magnetism on the basis of HysteresisCurve, Soft
and Hard Magnetic Materials, Properties of Anti-Ferro and Ferri Magnetic Materials,
Ferrites andtheir Applications, Concept of Perfect Diamagnetism, Meissner Effect,
Magnetic Levitation, Applications of Superconductors.
12. Lasers: Characteristics of Lasers, Spontaneous and Stimulated Emission of
Radiation, Meta-stableState, Population Inversion, Lasing Action, Einstein’s
Coefficients and Relation between them, Ruby Laser,Helium-Neon Laser, Carbon
Dioxide Laser, Semiconductor Diode Laser, Applications of Lasers.
13. Fiber Optics: Principle of Optical Fiber, Acceptance Angle and Acceptance
Cone, Numerical Aperture,Types of Optical Fibers and Refractive Index Profiles,
Attenuation in Optical Fibers, Application of OpticalFibers.
14. Acoustics of Buildings & Acoustic Quieting: Basic Requirement of
Acoustically Good Hall,Reverberation and Time of Reverberation, Sabine’s Formula
for Reverberation Time(Qualitative Treatment),Measurement of Absorption
Coefficient of a Material, Factors Affecting The Architectural Acoustics and
theirRemedies. Acoustic Quieting: Aspects of Acoustic Quieting, Methods of
Quieting, Quieting for SpecificObservers, Mufflers, Sound-proofing.
15. Nanotechnology: Origin of Nanotechnology, Nano Scale, Surface to Volume
Ratio, QuantumConfinement, Bottom-up Fabrication: Sol-gel, Precipitation,
Combustion Methods; Top-down Fabrication:Chemical Vapour Deposition, Physical
Vapour Deposition, Pulsed Laser Vapour Deposition Methods,
Characterization(XRD&TEM) and Applications.