1.1 INTEGRATED CIRCUITS
An integrated circuit (IC) is a miniature, low cost electronic circuit consisting of active and
passive components fabricated together on a single crystal of silicon. The active components
are transistors and diodes and passive components are resistors and capacitors.
1.2 Advantages of integrated circuits
1. Miniaturization and hence increased equipment density.
2. Cost reduction due to batch processing.
3. Increased system reliability due to the elimination of soldered joints.
4. Improved functional performance.
5. Matched devices.
6. Increased operating speeds.
7. Reduction in power consumption
Depending upon the number of active devices per chip,there are different levels of integration
1.3 IC Package Types
The op-amp ICs are available in various packages. The IC packages are classified as,
1. Metal Can
2. Dual In Line
3. Flat Pack
1.4 Metal Can package: