* They contain both metallic and nonmetallic elements.
* Characterized by their higher resistance to high temperatures
and harsh environments than metals and polymers.
* Typically good insulators to passage of both heat and
* Less dense than most metals and alloys.
* They are harder and stiffer, but brittle in nature.
* They are mostly oxides, nitrides, and carbides of metals.
* Wide range: traditional (clay, silicate glass, cement) to
advanced (carbides, pure oxides, non-silicate glasses).
E.g.: Glass, Porcelain, Minerals, etc.