BASICS OF MULTIMEDIA
• When different people mention the term multimedia, they often have quite different, or even
– A PC vendor: a PC that has sound capability, a DVD-ROM drive, and perhaps the
superiority of multimedia-enabled microprocessors that understand additional multimedia
– A consumer entertainment vendor: interactive cable TV with hundreds of digital channels
available, or a cable TV-like service delivered over a high-speed Internet connection.
– A Computer Science (CS) student: applications that use multiple modalities, including text,
images, drawings (graphics), animation, video, sound including speech, and interactivity.
• Multimedia and Computer Science:
– Graphics, HCI, visualization, computer vision, data compression, graph theory, networking,
database systems. Multimedia and Hypermedia.
Components of Multimedia
• Multimedia involves multiple modalities of text, audio, images, drawings, animation, and
Examples of how these modalities are put to use:
2.Distributed lectures for higher education.
4.Co-operative work environments.
5.Searching in (very) large video and image databases for target visual objects.
Downloaded from Studynama.com - India's Biggest Education Portal that Powers Engineers, Managers, Doctors & Lawyers!