UNIT – I
Computers in Industrial Manufacturing, Product cycle, CAD / CAM Hardware, Basic structure, CPU, Memory
types, input devices, display devices, hard copy devices, storage devices.
UNIT – II
Computer Graphics: Raster scan graphics coordinate system, database structure for graphics modeling,
transformation of geometry, 3D transformations, mathematics of projections, clipping, hidden surface removal.
UNIT – III
Geometric modeling: Requirements, geometric models, geometric construction models, curve representation
methods, surface representation methods, modeling facilities desired.
UNIT – IV
Drafting and Modeling systems: Basic geometric commands, layers, display control commands, editing,
dimensioning, solid modeling.
UNIT – V
Numerical control: NC, NC modes, NC elements, NC machine tools, structure of CNC machine tools, features of
Machining center, turning center, CNC Part Programming: fundamentals, manual part programming
methods, Computer Aided Part Programming.
UNIT – VI
Group Tech: Part family, coding and classification, production flow analysis, advantages and
limitations,Computer Aided Processes Planning, Retrieval type and Generative type.
UNIT – VII
Computer Aided Quality Control: Terminology in quality control, the computer in QC, contact inspection
methods, noncontact inspection methods-optical, noncontact inspection methods-non-optical, computer aided
testing, integration of CAQC with CAD/CAM.
UNIT – VIII
Computer integrated manufacturing systems: Types of Manufacturing systems, Machine tools and related
equipment, material handling systems, computer control systems, human labor in the manufacturing systems,
1. CAD / CAM A Zimmers & P.Groover/PE/PHI
2. CAD / CAM Theory and Practice / Ibrahim Zeid / TMH
1. Automation, Production systems & Computer integrated Manufacturing/ Groover/P.E
2. CAD / CAM / CIM / Radhakrishnan and Subramanian / New Age
3. Principles of Computer Aided Design and Manufacturing / Farid Amirouche / Pearson
4. CAD/CAM: Concepts and Applications/Alavala/ PHI
5. Computer Numerical Control Concepts and programming / Warren S Seames / Thomson.