CS260 - Computer Organization
• Introduction: Function and structure of a computer,
computer Functional components of a
computer, Interconnection of components, Performance of a computer.
• Representation of Instructions: Machine instructions, Operands, Addressing
modes, Instruction formats, Instruction sets, Instruction set architectures - CISC and
• Processing Unit: Organization of a processor - Registers, ALU and Control unit,
Data path in a CPU, Instruction cycle, Organization of a control unit - Operations of a
control unit, Hardwired control unit, Microprogrammed control unit.
• Memory Subsystem: Semiconductor memories, Memory cells - SRAM and DRAM
cells, Internal Organization of a memory chip, Organization of a memory unit, Error
correction memories, Interleaved memories, Cache memory unit - Concept of cache
memory, Mapping methods, Organization of a cache memory unit, Fetch and write
mechanisms, Memory management unit - Concept of virtual memory, Address
supportt ffor memory management.
• Input/Output Subsystem: Access of I/O devices, I/O ports, I/O control mechanisms Program controlled I/O,
I/O Interrupt controlled I/O,
I/O and DMA controlled I/O,
I/O I/O interfaces
- Serial port, Parallel port, PCI bus, SCSI bus, USB bus, Firewall and Infiniband, I/O
peripherals - Input devices, Output devices, Secondary storage devices.