• Term “polymer”: greek poli (many) + meros (unit) = many
• Polymers are a large class of materials consisting of many
small molecules (called monomers) that can be linked
together to form long chains, thus they are known as
macromolecules (term introduced by H. Staudinger in
• A typical polymer may include tens thousands of
monomers. Because of their large size, polymers are
classified as macromolecules.
• Polymers occur naturally in the form of proteins,
cellulose(plants), starch(food) and natural rubber.
• Engineering polymers, however, are usually synthetic
PROF.V.V.SHINDE NDMVP'S KBTCOE NASHIK