Mechanical Measurement & Metrology (2141901)
4. Provide the means of finding out shortcomings in manufacture. The results of inspection
are not only recorded but forwarded to the manufacturing department for taking
necessary steps, so as to produce acceptable parts and reduce scrap.
5. It also helps to purchase good quality of raw materials, tools, equipment which governs
the quality of the finished products.
6. It also helps to co-ordinate the functions of quality control, production, purchasing and
other departments of the organization.
To take decision on the defective parts i.e., to judge the possibility of making some of
these parts acceptable after minor repairs.
1.3 Objectives of Metrology
While the basic objective of a measurement is to provide the required accuracy at
minimum cost, metrology would have further objective in a modern engineering plant
with different shops like Tool Room, Machine Shop, Press Shop, Plastic Shop, Pressure
Die Casting Shop, Electroplating and Painting Shop, and Assembly Shop; as also
Research, Development and Engineering Department. In such an engineering
organization, the further objectives would be as follows:
1. Thorough evaluation of newly developed products, to ensure that components designed
is within the process and measuring instrument capabilities available in the plant.
2. To determine the process capabilities and ensure that these are better than the relevant
3. To determine the measuring instrument capabilities and ensure that these are adequate
for their respective measurements.
4. To minimize the cost of inspection by effective and efficient use of available facilities and
to reduce the cost of rejects and rework through application of Statistical Quality Control
5. Standardization of measuring methods. This is achieved by laying down inspection
methods for any product right at the time when production technology is prepared.
6. Maintenance of the accuracies of measurement. This is achieved by periodical
calibration of the metrological instruments used in the plant.
7. Arbitration and solution of problems arising on the shop floor regarding methods of
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Darshan Institute of Engineering & Technology, Rajkot