PHYSICS FOR CIVIL ENGINEERING
electrical and chemical ceramic fibres – ferroelectric and ferromagnetic ceramics – High
UNIT V HAZARDS
Seismology and Seismic waves – Earth quake ground motion – Basic concepts and
estimation techniques – site effects. Probabilistic and deterministic Seismic hazard analysis.
Cyclone and flood hazards – Fire hazards and fire protection, fire-proofing of materials, fire
safety regulations and firefighting equipment. Prevention and safety measures.
1.Alexander,D.“Natural disaster”, Springer (1993).
2. Budinski, K.G. & Budinski, M.K. “Engineering Materials Properties and Selection”,
Prentice Hall, 2009.
3. Severns, W.H. & Fellows, J.R. “Air conditioning and refrigeration”, John Wiley and
Sons, London, 1988.
4. Stevens, W.R., “Building Physics: Lighting: Seeing in the Artificial Environment,
Pergaman Press, 2013.
1. Gaur R.K. and Gupta S.L., Engineering Physics. Dhanpat Rai publishers, 2012.
2. Reiter, L. “Earthquake hazard analysis – Issues and insights”, Columbia University
3. Shearer, P.M. “Introduction to Seismology”, Cambridge University Press, 1999.