by Sreethi NikhilSreethi Nikhil Type:
Cochin University of Science and Technology CUSAT, Eranakulam
Computer Science EngineeringViews:
8 months ago
• The parser obtains a string of tokens from the lexical analyzer,
and verifies that the string of token names can be generated
by the grammar for the source language.
• We expect the parser to report any syntax errors and to
recover from commonly occurring errors to continue
processing the remainder of the program.
• The parser constructs a parse tree and passes it to the rest of
the compiler for further processing.
• top-down or bottom-up parsers.
• As implied by their names, top-down methods build parse
trees from the top (root) to the bottom (leaves) , while
bottom-up methods start from the leaves and work their way
up to the root.
• In either case, the input to the parser is scanned from left to
right, one symbol at a time.