Microprocessor is a multi-use device which finds applications in almost all the fields.
Examples :Electronics: Digital clocks & Watches ,Mobile phones ,Measuring Meters
Mechanical: Automobiles,Lathes,All remote machines
Electrical: Motors ,Lighting controls ,Power stations
Medical: Patient monitoring ,Most of the Medical equipments ,Data loggers
Computer: All computer accessories ,Laptops & Modems ,Scanners & Printers
Domestic: Microwave Ovens ,Television/CD/DVD players ,Washing Machines
Advantages of Microprocessor based system
1. Computational/processing speed is high.
2. Intelligence has been brought to systems.
3. Automation of industrial processes and office administration.
4. Since the devices are programmable, there is flexibility to alter the system by
5. Less number of components, compact in size and cost less. Also it is more reliable.
6. Operation and maintenance are easier.
Disadvantages of Microprocessor based System
1. It has limitations on the size of data.
2. The applications are limited by the physical address space.
3. The analog signals cannot be processed directly and digitizing the analog signals
4. The speed of execution is slow and so real time applications are not possible.
5. Most of the microprocessors does not support floating point operations.