UNIT - 5
Entropy: Clasius inequality; Statement, proof, application to a reversible cycle. Entropy;
definition, a property, change of entropy, principle of increase in entropy, entropy as a
quantitative test for irreversibility, calculation of entropy using Tds relations, entropy as
a coordinate. Available and unavailable energy.
UNIT - 6
Pure Substances: P-T and P-V diagrams, triple point and critical points. Subcooled liquid,
saturated liquid, mixture of saturated liquid and vapour, saturated vapour and superheated
vapour states of pure substance with water as example. Enthalpy of change of phase (Latent
heat). Dryness fraction (quality), T-S and H-S diagrams, representation of various processes
on these diagrams. Steam tables and its use. Throttling calorimeter, separating and throttling
UNIT - 7
Thermodynamic relations: Maxwell relation, Clausius Clayperon's equation. Ideal gas;
equation of state, internal energy and enthalpy as functions of temperature only, universal and
particular gas constants, specific heats, perfect and semi-perfect gases. Evaluation of heat,
work, change in internal energy. enthalpy and entropy in various quasi-static processes.
UNIT - 8
Ideal gas mixture : Ideal gas mixture; Dalton's laws of partial pressures, Amagat's law of
additive volumes, evaluation of properties, Analysis of various processes. Real Gases:
Introduction. Van-der Waal's Equation of state, Van-der Waal's constants in terms of critical
properties, Law of corresponding states, compressiblity factor; compressibility chart
Data Handbooks :
1. Thermodynamic data hand book, B.T. Nijaguna.
2. Properties of Refrigerant & Psychometric (tables & Charts in SI Units), Dr.
S.S. Banwait, Dr. S.C. Laroiya, Birla Pub. Pvt. Ltd., Delhi, 2008
1. Basic Engineering Thermodynamics, A.Venkatesh, Universities Press, 2008
2. Basic and Applied Thermodynamics, P.K.Nag, 2nd Ed., Tata McGraw Hill Pub.
1. Thermodynamics, An Engineering Approach, Yunus A.Cenegal and Michael
A.Boles, Tata McGraw Hill publications, 2002
2. Engineering Thermodynamics, J.B.Jones and G.A.Hawkins, John Wiley and Sons..
3. Fundamentals of Classical Thermodynamics, G.J.Van Wylen and
R.E.Sonntag, Wiley Eastern.
4. An Introduction to Thermodynamcis, Y.V.C.Rao, Wiley Eastern, 1993,
5. B.K Venkanna, Swati B. Wadavadagi “Basic Thermodynamics, PHI,
New Delhi, 2010
Department of Mechanical Engineering,