Object Oriented Modeling and Design
software control strategy; Handling boundary conditions; Setting the trade-off
priorities; Common architectural styles; Architecture of the ATM system as the
UNIT - 6
CLASS DESIGN, IMPLEMENTATION MODELING, LEGACY SYSTEMS:
Class Design: Overview of class design; Bridging the gap; Realizing use cases;
Designing algorithms; Recursing downwards, Refactoring; Design optimization;
Reification of behavior; Adjustment of inheritance; Organizing a class design; ATM
example. Implementation Modeling: Overview of implementation; Fine-tuning
classes; Fine-tuning generalizations; Realizing associations; Testing. Legacy
Systems: Reverse engineering; Building the class models; Building the interaction
model; Building the state model; Reverse engineering tips; Wrapping; Maintenance.
UNIT - 7
DESIGN PATTERNS – 1: What is a pattern and what makes a pattern? Pattern
categories; Relationships between patterns; Pattern description.
Communication Patterns: Forwarder-Receiver; Client-Dispatcher-Server; PublisherSubscriber.
UNIT - 8
DESIGN PATTERNS – 2, IDIOMS: Management Patterns: Command processor;
View handler. Idioms: Introduction; What can idioms provide? Idioms and style;
Where to find idioms; Counted Pointer example.
1. Michael Blaha, James Rumbaugh: Object-Oriented Modeling and Design with
UML, 2nd Edition, Pearson Education, 2005. (Chapters 1 to 17, 23)
2. Frank Buschmann, Regine Meunier, Hans Rohnert, Peter Sommerlad, Michael
Stal: Pattern-Oriented Software Architecture, A System of Patterns, Volume 1, John
Wiley and Sons, 2007. (Chapters 1, 3.5, 3.6, 4)
1. Grady Booch et al: Object-Oriented Analysis and Design with Applications, 3rd
Edition, Pearson Education, 2007.
2. Brahma Dathan, Sarnath Ramnath: Object-Oriented Analysis, Design, and
Implementation, Universities Press, 2009.
3. Hans-Erik Eriksson, Magnus Penker, Brian Lyons, David Fado: UML 2 Toolkit,
Wiley- Dreamtech India, 2004.
4. Simon Bennett, Steve McRobb and Ray Farmer: Object-Oriented Systems
Analysis and Design Using UML, 2nd Edition, Tata McGraw-Hill, 2002.
Dept. of ISE, SJBIT