Types of piles and their function – Factors influencing the selection of pile –
capacity of single pile in granular and cohesive soil - Static formula dynamic formulae
(Engineering news and Hiley’s) – Capacity from insitu tests (SPT and
SCPT) – Negative
skin friction – uplift capacity – Group capacity by different methods (Feld’s
Converse Labarra formula and block failure criterion) – Settlement of pile
Interpretation of pile load test – Forces on pile caps – under reamed piles –
under compression and uplift.
UNIT V RETAINING WALLS 9
Plastic equilibrium in soils – active and passive states – Rankine’s theory –
and cohesive soil - Coloumb’s wedge theory – condition for critical failure
plane - Earth
pressure on retaining walls of simple configurations – Graphical methods
Culmann) - pressure on the wall due to line load – Stability of retaining
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
1. Murthy, V.N.S, “Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering”, UBS
Distribution Ltd, New Delhi, 1999.
2. Gopal Ranjan and Rao, A.S.R. ”Basic and Applied Soil Mechanics”,
Ltd., New Delhi (India), 2003.
1. Das, B.M. “Principles of Foundation Engineering (Fifth edition), Thomson
2. Bowles J.E, “Foundation analysis and design”, McGraw-Hill, 1994
3. Punmia, B.C., “Soil Mechanics and Foundations”, Laxmi publications pvt.
4. Venkatramaiah,C.”Geotechnical Engineering”, New Age International