GE6757 TOTAL QUALITY MANAGEMENT
UNIT I INTRODUCTION
Introduction - Need for quality - Evolution of quality - Definition of quality - Dimensions of
manufacturing and service quality - Basic concepts of TQM - Definition of TQM – TQM
Framework - Contributions of Deming, Juran and Crosby – Barriers to TQM.
UNIT II TQM PRINCIPLES
Leadership – Strategic quality planning, Quality statements - Customer focus – Customer
orientation, Customer satisfaction, Customer complaints, Customer retention - Employee
involvement – Motivation, Empowerment, Team and Teamwork, Recognition and Reward,
Performance appraisal - Continuous process improvement – PDSA cycle, 5s, Kaizen Supplier partnership – Partnering, Supplier selection, Supplier Rating.
UNIT III TQM TOOLS & TECHNIQUES I
The seven traditional tools of quality – New management tools – Six-sigma: Concepts,
methodology, applications to manufacturing, service sector including IT – Bench marking –
Reason to bench mark, Bench marking process – FMEA – Stages, Types.
UNIT IV TQM TOOLS & TECHNIQUES II
Quality circles – Quality Function Deployment (QFD) – Taguchi quality loss function – TPM
– Concepts, improvement needs – Cost of Quality – Performance measures.
UNIT V QUALITY SYSTEMS
Need for ISO 9000- ISO 9000-2000 Quality System – Elements, Documentation, Quality
auditing- QS 9000 – ISO 14000 – Concepts, Requirements and Benefits – Case studies of
TQM implementation in manufacturing and service sectors including IT.
1. Dale H.Besterfiled, et at., “Total Quality Management”, Pearson Education Asia,
Third Edition, Indian Reprint (2006
1. James R. Evans and William M. Lindsay, “The Management and Control of Quality”,
6th Edition, South-Western (Thomson Learning), 2005.
2. Oakland, J.S. “TQM – Text with Cases”, Butterworth – Heinemann Ltd., Oxford, 3rd
3. Suganthi,L and Anand Samuel, “Total Quality Management”, Prentice Hall (India)
4. Janakiraman,B and Gopal, R.K, “Total Quality Management – Text and Cases”,
Prentice Hall (India) Pvt. Ltd., 2006.