Elements of Mechanical Engineering
Module – 5
Refrigerants: properties of refrigerants, list of commonly used refrigerants. Refrigeration –
Definitions – Refrigerating effect, Ton of Refrigeration, Ice making capacity, COP, Relative
COP, unit of Refrigeration. Principle and working of vapor compression refrigeration and vapour
absorption refrigeration: Principles and applications of air conditioners, Room air conditioner.
Students shall demonstrate the Knowledge associated with,
1. Various Energy sources, Boilers, Prime movers such as turbines and IC engines, Refrigeration
and air-conditioning systems
2. Metal removal process using Lathe, drilling, Milling Robotics and Automation.
3. Fair understanding of application and usage of various engineering materials.
Scheme of examination:
• Two full questions (with a maximum of four sub questions) of twenty marks each to be set
from each module. Each question should cover all the contents of the respective module.
• Students have to answer five full questions choosing one full question from each module
1. V.K.Manglik, “Elements of Mechanical Engineering”, PHI Publications, 2013. (Module-1, 2,
2. Mikell P.Groover, “Automation, Production Systems & CIM”, 3rd Edition, PHI (Module -3)
3. K.R.Gopalkrishna, “A text Book of Elements of Mechanical Engineering”-Subhash
Publishers, Bangalore. (Module -1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
1. S.TrymbakaMurthy, “A Text Book of Elements of Mechanical Engineering”, 4th Edition
2006, Universities Press (India) Pvt Ltd, Hyderabad.
2. K.P.Roy, S.K.Hajra Choudhury, Nirjhar Roy, “Elements of Mechanical Engineering”, Media
Promoters & Publishers Pvt Ltd,Mumbai,7th Edition,2012
3. Pravin Kumar, “Basic Mechanical Engineering”, 2013 Edition, Pearson.
Department of Mechanical Engineering, SJBIT