Syllabus : Nano
Science & Biotechnology
Module -1(6 Hours)
Fundamental and process of fabrication
The world of small dimensions, Nanoscale Properties (Electrical, Optical, Chemical, Mechanical),
Nanoscale visualization techniques , Electron microscopy (TEM, SEM, Cryo-SEM), Scanning probe
microscopy (AFM, STM), Diffraction techniques (XRD,synchrotron),Top-down and Bottom-Up approach
, nanoparticles (synthesis,properties and applications).
Module-2 (12 Hours)
Nano-Device and Components:
Structure of carbon nanotube, Classification and physical properties of CNT, Graphene: structure,
synthesis and properties, Nanophotonis (Photonic crystal in one, two and three dimensions), Quantum dot,
quantum wire, Nanofluidics: nanopores and Nano capillaries, Debye length, Nanomechanics (elastic,
thermal and kinetic material properties).
Module-3 (10 Hours)
Coulomb blockade in nano capacitors and quantum dot circuits. Single Electron Transistor (SET),
Quantum information and computing, Sprintonics devices and its classifications, Structural and optical
properties of nanomaterials, Molecular Electronics, NEMS, Optical and Magnetic computer.
Module -4 (10 Hours)
Bio-Device and application
Bio-nanostructures (nanofibers, nanotubes, nanocellulose), Biological nanomachines Ribosomes,
Photosynthesis systems,Near-field Bioimaging, Nanoparticles for optical diagnosticsand Targeted
Therapy,Protein nanotechnology, DNA nanotechnology, Nano robotand its application, Nanocapsule,
Medibots, Artifiial pancreas, Artificial Muscle,Nanoclinic for Gene delivery and
photodynamic therapy Nanoparticle in cancer, Bionanomotors.
ADDITIONAL MODULE (Terminal Examination-Internal) (05 hr)
Nanotechnology safety and the environment,Impact of nanotechnology on society and industry, Biosensors
(fabrication, functionalization, applications), Current research on nanotechnology.
1. Rishal Singh, S.M. Gupta,Introduction to nanotechnologyOxford university press,(2016).
2. Paras N. Prasad, Nanophotonics, John Wiley & Sons, (2016).
3. C. M. Niemeyer, C. A. Mirkin, ―Nanobiotechnology: Concepts, Applications and Perspectives, Wiley –
2. 4 T. Pradeep, ―Nano: The Essentials, McGraw – Hill education, (2007).
4. Challa, S.S.R. Kumar, Josef Hormes, CarolaLeuschaer, Nanofabrication Towards Biomedical
Applications, Techniques, Tools, Applications and Impact, Wiley – VCH,
5. Nicholas A. Kotov, ―Nanoparticle Assemblies and Superstructures, CRC, (2006).
6. David S Goodsell, “Bionanotechnology, John Wiley & Sons, (2004).