Module – I
1. Definition of stress, stress tensor, normal and shear stresses in axially loaded
Stress & Strain :- Stress-strain relationship, Hooke’s law, Poisson’s ratio, shear
stress, shear strain, modulus of rigidity. Relationship between material properties of
isotropic materials. Stress-strain diagram for uniaxial loading of ductile and brittle
materials. Introduction to mechanical properties of metals-hardness,impact.
Composite Bars In Tension & Compression:-Temperature stresses in composite
rods – statically indeterminate problem. (10)
Module – II
2. Two Dimensional State of Stress and
Principal stresses, principal
strains and principal axes, calculation of principal stresses from principal
strains.Stresses in thin cylinder and thin spherical shells under internal pressure ,
wire winding of thin cylinders.
3. Torsion of solid circular shafts, twisting moment, strength of solid and hollow
circular shafts and strength of shafts in combined bending and twisting. (10)
Module – III
4. Shear Force And Bending Moment Diagram: For simple beams, support
reactions for statically determinant beams, relationship between bending moment
and shear force, shear force and bending moment diagrams.
5. Pure bending theory of initially straight beams, distribution of normal and shear
stress, beams of two materials.
6. Deflection of beams by integration method and area moment method. (12)
Module – IV
7. Closed coiled helical springs.
8. Buckling of columns : Euler’s theory of initially straight columns with various
end conditions, Eccentric loading of columns. Columns with initial curvature.