CE2351 STRUCTURAL ANALYSIS – II L T P C
This course is in continuation of Structural Analysis – Classical Methods. Here in advanced
method of analysis like Matrix method and Plastic Analysis are covered. Advanced topics such
as FE method and Space Structures are covered.
UNIT I FLEXIBILITY METHOD 12
Equilibrium and compatibility – Determinate vs Indeterminate structures – Indeterminacy Primary structure – Compatibility conditions – Analysis of indeterminate pin-jointed plane
frames, continuous beams, rigid jointed plane frames (with redundancy restricted to two).
UNIT II STIFFNESS MATRIX METHOD 12
Element and global stiffness matrices – Analysis of continuous beams – Co-ordinate
transformations – Rotation matrix – Transformations of stiffness matrices, load vectors and
displacements vectors – Analysis of pin-jointed plane frames and rigid frames( with redundancy
vertical to two)
UNIT III FINITE ELEMENT METHOD 12
Introduction – Discretisation of a structure – Displacement functions – Truss element – Beam
element – Plane stress and plane strain - Triangular elements
UNIT IV PLASTIC ANALYSIS OF STRUCTURES 12
Statically indeterminate axial problems – Beams in pure bending – Plastic moment of resistance
– Plastic modulus – Shape factor – Load factor – Plastic hinge and mechanism – Plastic
analysis of indeterminate beams and frames – Upper and lower bound theorems
UNIT V SPACE AND CABLE STRUCTURES 12
Analysis of Space trusses using method of tension coefficients – Beams curved in plan
Suspension cables – suspension bridges with two and three hinged stiffening girders
TOTAL: 60 PERIODS
1. Vaidyanathan, R. and Perumal, P., “Comprehensive structural Analysis – Vol. I & II”, Laxmi
Publications, New Delhi, 2003
2. L.S. Negi & R.S. Jangid, “Structural Analysis”, Tata McGraw-Hill Publications, New Delhi,
3. BhaviKatti, S.S, “Structural Analysis – Vol. 1 Vol. 2”, Vikas Publishing House Pvt. Ltd., New
1. Ghali.A, Nebille,A.M. and Brown,T.G. “Structural Analysis” A unified classical and Matrix
approach” –5th edition. Spon Press, London and New York, 2003.
2. Coates R.C, Coutie M.G. and Kong F.K., “Structural Analysis”, ELBS and Nelson, 1990
3. Structural Analysis – A Matrix Approach – G.S. Pandit & S.P. Gupta, Tata McGraw Hill
4. Matrix Analysis of Framed Structures – Jr. William Weaver & James M. Gere, CBS
Publishers and Distributors, Delhi.