INSTRUCTIONS TO TEACHERS / STUDENTS
1. This Teaching Guide is prepared based on the course BE 100 ENGINEERING MECHANICS syllabus
laid down by APJ Kerala Technological University and released in 2016.
2. This draft version of the Teaching Guide prepared based on the above syllabus is not meant for
the study of Engineering Mechanics in general.
3. The Guide can be referred by both teachers and students for browsing the topics in general.
However, in no way, can it replace a standard textbook or reference of study.
4. This course kit is intended for private circulation only and is not meant for publication by any
means. The material contains information, formulae, diagrams, pictures, questions, etc from
various textbooks, references and online resources. The author does not claim any right to the
contents of the course kit.
5. The contents and questions in the textbook have been set to help students understand core
concepts in a simple lucid manner.
6. The entire course is divided into modules which have been further sub-divided into chapters
based on the topics of study. The modules have been presented in an order based on an easy
method of teaching. Modules and Chapter have been given appropriate names for references.
7. The contents within boxes are meant for extra information and understanding. The matter
within the boxes may also include topics that I felt need to be discussed for better
8. The questions have been set on increasing standard meant for better understanding of
concepts. The answer kit for the questions in this course kit is in the process of completion.
9. Since there are infinite number of practical problems associated with mechanics, students are
advised grasp the concept rather than blindly know how to solve a particular type of problem.
10. A list of the University question papers has been attached at the end to help students
understand the Question Pattern.
11. I am highly indebted to my colleagues, students and critiques for motivating me to continue
updating this material for the betterment of this study of Mechanics
12. Finally, I advise students to critically analyse the concepts of each topic and question them if it
does not ring your bells since there lays the true process of learning.