AIM OF THE EXPERIMENT:To find out the impact test strength of the supplied Specimen by charpy test.
Universal pendulum impact testing Machine
THEORY:Impact strength can be defined as the resistance of the material to fracture under
impact loading i.e. under quickly applied dynamic load. The notch impact strength ‘I’ is
calculated by the following relation:I = K/A
Where I = Impact strength in joule/m2
K = Impact energy absorbed on rupture in joule
A = Area of cross section.
PROCEDURE:1. For conducting charpy test, charpy striker was to be firmly secured to the
of the hammer with the help of charpy piece.
2. The latching tube to be firmly secured to the bracket fitted at the top of the
column with the help of socket head screws.
3. Before proceeding to the actual test , the test for determining the frictional
loss in the machine was to be calculated.
4. Reading pointer was adjusted with the pointer carrier to 30 Kgm/300J dial
reading when the pendulum was hanging free vertical for this use socket
head screw of carrier.
5. Now hammer was released by operating livers, the pointer will now
indicate the energy loss due to friction.
6. For this reading, confirm that the friction loss was not exceeding 0.05% of
the initial potential.
7. The specimen was placed on the specimen support touching the end stop.
the specimen should be placed in such a way that the notch was averted to
the direction of impact of the pendulum. For correct centering of the
specimen the end stop was provided.