To study the profile of given can using cam analysis system and to draw the displacement
diagram for the follower and the cam profile. Also to study the jump-speed characteristics of the
cam & follower mechanism.
Apparatus required: Cam analysis system and Dial gauge
A cam is a machine element such as a cylinder or any other solid with a surface of contact so
designed as to give a predetermined motion to another element called the follower.A cam is a
rotating body importing oscillating motor to the follower. All cam mechanisms are composed of at
least there links viz: 1.Cam, 2. Follower and 3. Frame which guides follower and cam.
Diameter of base circle =150mm, Lift = 18mm, Diameter of cam shaft = 25mm
Diameter of follower shaft = 20 mm, Diameter of roller = 32mm, Dwell period = 180
Type of follower motion = SHM (during ascent & descent)
Cam analysis system consists of cam roller follower, pull rod and guide of pull rod.
1. Set the cam at 0° and note down the projected length of the pull rod
2. Rotate the can through 10° and note down the projected length of the pull rod above the
3. Calculate the lift by subtracting each reading with the initial reading.
1. The cam is run at gradually increasing speeds, and the speed at which the follower jumps off
2. This jump-speed is observed for different loads on the follower.
Displacement diagram and also the cam profile is drawn using a polar graph chart.
The Force Vs Jump-speed curve is drawn.
Lift in mm
Lift + base circle Load on the
Follower, F (N)